Monday, July 26, 2010


Every year for as long as I can remember we have spent summer time fun on "The Farm". "The Farm" is a well earned, dream come true for two of my favorite people, Pop and Gigi (my grandparents). Eighty acres of the most beautiful part of the country, the Bluegrass! Yeah, I'm an Alabama girl when it comes to football, but my heart lives in Kentucky! The kids, my sisters, my Mom and I go for as long as life (and our husbands) let us go, usually about a month. It's like a time capsule-we don't hook up the cable (yes, on purpose), no tv, no video games, just old fashioned fun! Lots of board games, cards, reading, crafts, some of the best fishing around, lots of laughs, tons of SCRABBLE and best of all, fun in the kitchen!


One afternoon after devouring the newest edition of a cooking magazine, I took a challenge that the magazine offered and turned it into our afternoon activity (and snack!) Bacon! The challenge: to create a recipe using BACON as a secret ingredient! And the afternoon activity began...my sister and I sat on the porch and threw out ideas using some of our favorite dessert, yes, dessert recipes using bacon in them. Needless to say there may have been some wine involved in this process that brought up lots of child-like laughter. I threw out "S'mores", which is a staple on The Farm, and our eyes got big and bright. It wasn't minutes before the bacon was in the oven and all 5 kids were gathering the graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows (that were the size of my head, by the way. We had to cut those in half.) Any way, we cooked the bacon half way through and then wrapped the graham crackers with it and finished baking it in the oven. When the timer went off we topped it with a chocolate square and marshmallow and popped it back in the oven to brown the top! Minutes later we were enjoying what was quite possibly the best "S'more" ever! Bacon S'more's...I know it won't replace the traditonal and most of you think I'm crazy but...it was so indulgent and yummy! Bacon really does make everything better! Those of you who know me, know that I live by this belief! So I never entered the recipe contest but...it sure was a fun (and delicious) afternoon on The Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment