Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Half-Marathon...What was I thinking?


First of all, let me remind those of you who know me..I am not a runner! I can run, I can chase down a tennis ball or out run a child teetering towards the street but I am not a "runner". So what was I thinking last December when my husband and I decided to run a half-marathon this year? Not only did we decide to do it but then we made it sound like so much fun that we enticed friends to do it, too! So here we are, 6 weeks into our 10 week training program and I'm hearing things like "Oh, we just have to run 5 miles today" or "yeah, I ran 10 miles last Saturday" coming out of MY mouth. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think such things could be uttered... but they are! The training program we chose has really helped, I don't think we could have had the discipline to do it on our own, my advice to anyone who wants to run a half-marathon for the first time...follow a training schedule. We are using one from http://www.marathonrookie.com/ and it has really worked! I still don't consider myself a runner but now I know I could be if I wanted to be. It's been fun to train along side my husband and friends and everyone who has run a half-marathon tells me that it is alot of fun the day of the race! We'll see, I'll let you know in a few weeks if I have been tricked or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment