Friday, March 12, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole!




So my daughter and I could not agree on a birthday party idea - she wanted to go roller skating, I wanted to throw a party! (She's 12, it may be my last oppportunity until she gets married.) So as the days on the calendar ticked past her birthday We came up with the perfect idea! We were "late late late for a very important date!", a Mad Hatter's Tea Party! And so timely with the new version of "Alice in Wonderland" coming out. She loved the idea and Mommy began the planning. (have I mentioned how much I LOVE to plan a party?) Immediately, I went way out of the box and decided we would hold the party in the clearing in the woods behind our house...the "Rabbit Hole". I know, I'm a little crazy when I get a theme going, but I had a picture in my head of the "Rabbit Hole" decorated and I had to try it! I started praying for a beautiful Spring day right then, mud meant the party had to be in the dining room and and what would we do for two hours in the dining room? Well, all the preparations came together: invitations, party favors, hats, etc. Thankfully we also got a beautiful Spring day and we were in business! We hung a chandalier in the tree and hung paper lanterns from the limbs, carried a big, high backed chair down to the clearing and set the table like the Queen herself was coming. It was so much fun to do and the kids loved it, they even came dressed up as their favorite characters! My daughter had a great time with her friends and told me later in the day "Mommy, thanks for turning the woods into a Rabbit Hole." What more could a mother ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment